Cross Cutting Issues
HDC Somalia lays out key cross-cutting issues: gender equality, gender base violence, peace building and reconciliation and female genital mutilations (FGM).Throughout all of its projects, HDC Somalia supports the achievement of gender equality and women’s empowerment in all development results. HDC Somalia is raising awareness at the institutional and community level to mitigate its impact and support awareness on peace, GBV, gender equality and FGM.
1. GENDER EQUALITIES
- Women and men define and characterize equally the social life in its political, economic, cultural and social facets
- Women and men have equal rights and self-determination in all aspects and stages of their lives.
- Women and men earn their own livelihood and poverty-proof pension, based on good education and training, equal pay 4) and equal access to the labour market.
- Women and men partake equally in the resources available
- Women and men receive gender just services in health care
- Women and men feel safe and live free from violence as well as sexist discrimination in the private and public sphere.
- Women and men develop freely their personality and are perceived and respected in their diversity.”
- Women and men learn and teach in a gender sensitive way in schools, kindergarten and all other educational institutions.
2. GENDER BASE VIOLENCE
- Educate and sensitize the community on the issues of gender based violence and how can be avoided
- Establish how different stereotypes enhance injustices in gender based violence
- To provide support to the community in pursuit of their equal opportunities that hence eradicating sexual gender based violence against our children, girls and women.
- Sensitize the community on the importance of supporting human rights and health issues. Enhance caring and peaceful society free from gender based violence
- To have a peaceful and caring community that promotes Gender base violence
- Provide training on knowledge of human rights and exercise sanity in ensuring that everyone is given a chance to enjoy human rights.
- To ensure all survivors get the quality help they need by equipping service providers with knowledge and resources.
- Reduce Gender based Violence in our communities, Prevent and Respond to Gender Based Violence
- Communicating effectively at all levels to ensure improved services to GBV survivors, increased public awareness, shared ownership of responsibility
- To enhance prevention of GBV in HDC by formulation of targeted messages and by implementing awareness and advocacy programmes in a co-ordinated manner.
3. PEACE BUILDING AND RECONCILIATION
- Provide practical tools for peaceful living including skills and methods for conflict resolution and violence prevention
- Harness commitment and expertise, including the experience of our elders and the vitality of our youth
- Provide a strong platform, based on research and sound infrastructure, for educational, community and international activities
- To build peaceful relationships among people of all ages and cultures - from personal to global - through education , research and action
- Liaise and partner with others working for peace (iv) To collaborate with other organizations with similar initiatives, for purposes of networking and knowledge sharing
- To train 100 Peace & Reconciliation Facilitators in the target areas
- Elimination of frustration, anger, mistrust and negative ethnicity among the affected people
- To promote peace issues and initiatives actively through the media/event
- To model peace-making values within the organization and outside
- To promote the development of interpersonal skills for handling relationships and conflict constructively
- To work for peace, disarmament and social justice
4. FGM- FEMALE GENITAL MUTULATIONS
- Educate the effects of FGM on the health of girls and woman in the community.
- To raise awareness of the issue in Somalia in order to sensitize stakeholders as well as enable the possibility for comprehensive training for all those involved
- To address the forms of humanitarian protection on the basis of danger of undergoing FGM
- To provide the rejections of all forms of female genital mutilation in Somalia
- To facilitate awareness of FGM in Somalia concerning the harmful effects of all forms of genital mutilation